Vitora, Brazil

Vitora, Brazil

Friday, October 18, 2013

4. Every prayer ought to be a literal conversation with God. Don't just spam his inbox.

Dear Family and Friends,

We had another great week of learning and growing. Just after writing my last letter I got the opportunity to let out my suit pants about an inch and a half. You all would be so proud of me. 
We had more lessons this week and my companion and I are getting better at giving lessons without a script. I think next week they will make us go without anything but our scriptures. We actually did a lesson this week without notes. Our new investigator was supposed to have been taught the 3rd lesson but he told us before we started teaching that he had already learned about the restoration and even though the last time he was taught was in April, he said he remembered everything. So after a good pause, we decided we would have to teach the Plan of Salvation, without planning at all. It was kind-off rough because we did not have the right vocabulary pulsing through our brain but when we finished if felt kind off good.

We also had a really rough time with another one of our investigators. After an awesome lesson with an obvious presence of the Holy Ghost we asked her to be baptized. She responded by telling us that she had just found another church and really liked it a lot. The lesson ended with us just telling her to keep her book of Mormon and continue to read. So, that should have been it right? Time for a new investigator. Nope. We were surprised to find that we needed to teach her again and that we still had a chance with her. With only 30 minutes to prep. we prayed and decided to try to get her to pray with us and feel the spirit again. I don't really know how she felt because she said she had to go right after the prayer. She is one tough investigator.

But, I am still really enjoying my time and learning surprisingly fast. In the temple this morning, I listened only in Portuguese and really enjoyed it. Besides I almost raised my hand when only the girls where supposed to. I also really noticed that I could hear and comprehend much better if I closed my eyes. I just made sure I peeked every once in a while so I didn't miss something.

I was so glad to hear from everyone this week. I even got a letter. What a pleasant surprise! I am so proud of all the missionary work you guys are doing at home. That is truly the missionary spirit.

While praying last night, I felt that I needed to share my testimony with you guys about some of the awesome things I am learning while I teach investigators. I wanted to start with something I learned from conference. I think there is a reason the apostles and the prophet don't talk about deep doctrinal mysteries. The always teach the basics and the teach the basics because that is the only thing that can help you grow a testimony in the gospel. We learned our first week that we needed to be converted not convinced. I truly believe that the Book of Mormon has me thoroughly convinced. I know that there is no way it could have been falsified. Especially while reading through the prophecies of the last days and the forming of the American Nation. But, more importantly, I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God because the Holy Ghost has testified to my heart. We can read the Book of Mormon and go to church every week. And go to the temple and feel the spirit. But, the only way to know that the Book of Mormon is True and that this is the Lord's Gospel is through prayer. We have to know what the promptings of the Spirit feel like. We have to do our best to seek those feelings and follow them. I know that I am out of practice with praying with real intent and with a sincere heart. Every prayer is a literal conversation with God. Don't just spam his inbox. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

I know I don't want to preach to you guys but these lessons finally hit me hard here. And I want you to feel too. I shared my experience with an investigator yesterday, that it took me several time of sincere prayer to get a response that I could recognize. Then I decided to accept the same challenge as my investigator and pray for my self. I was touched again. I wrote my experience in my journal and I hope I don't forget it this time. I hope that we all try to hold on to the soft messages of the Spirit.

I also got to go proselyting this week. Bryan is actually going right now. Me an my companion both gave away a book on the bus and then within 15 minutes outside a mall, we gave away our other one (when we where given an hour). I then started helping another Elder. I was so happy to go with him because we met the two awesome business men that were really interested. I could tell that the Lord had a place for everyone of those copies.

Thank you all again for your support. It was awesome to hear from you. Forgive me again for all typos. I always feel super rushed.

Love,

Elder Jacobson (Andrew)

No comments:

Post a Comment